Software update --- grrr

Hi,

  I did a software update, which has worked imperfectly.   I would like to
repeat it, but when I try, instead of staying in update mode, the tablet
boots itself.

  I'm running it through Parallels on the mac, which likely adds to the
confusion.   I can try it on a windows box at home, but my network
connection there is much slower.  Any ideas on how to get it to stay in
update mode when it boots up?

  Thanks,  Beth