Internal Memory Read Only?

Scott Carr wrote:
> Ryan Pavlik wrote:
>
>> Russ Wenner wrote:
>>
>>> Check to see if the "write protect" tab got set to lock.
>>>
>>> --
>>> Russ

>> If I'm not mistaken, he's referring to the internal memory, not
>> internal memory card.  I'm also going to guess (though this sort of
>> thing should ideally be in the request for help) that this is an N810,
>> since the only "internal memory" that the other tablets have is either
>> the internal card or the system 256mb flash.  I'd suggest running a
>> fsck (disk check) on the internal memory, and if possible, copy your
>> files off it and format just that internal card.  The maps can be
>> re-downloaded - it sounds like you probably have some corruption
>> there.  The results of dmesg in a terminal will also let you know if
>> you're hitting errors, might be worthwhile to email that to the list.
>>
> Ouch.  You are correct, that information would have been good up front.
> Great guess, btw.
>
> Yes, this is the internal memory on an n810.  I have the latest release
> of the OS2008 as far as I am aware as well.
>
> This is causing problems with Application Manager as well, because I
> believe it stores the files on internal memory before saving.
>
> If I formated the drive, how would I get the Map data back?

Sorry, the ouch was unintentional - not meant to be personal, I just
write quickly and also like to keep folks generally aware that in the
case of an email, the more raw info (uninterpreted) that can be provided
the more likely someone will take the time to produce not only a
response, but a correct one :)

Well, there are two different internal memories - the 256 system and the
2gb "fake internal card" with map data.  (I have no idea how to get map
data back, presumably from within the program.  I know it can be done,
that's all I know.)  If the AppMgr is acting up, well, then I am not
sure what to tell you. (Both won't go bad at once unless it's not
actually a problem with the memory.)  Perhaps a reflash is in order - if
there was corruption on the 256, that will fix it.

If, however, you're just saying the 2gb shows up in file manager or
whereever as write-protected  (an average user doesn't know much about
the 256 or whether it is write protected - I imagine that if it is you'd
have some problems on bootup) then it's just that volume and a reflash
won't make a difference, only a fsck or a format.

Good luck!

--
Ryan Pavlik
www.cleardefinition.com