task launcher environment

I have installed emacs on my N810. I have a .desktop file that creates a task
launcher menu item for it. When I run emacs from osso X terminal and start a
shell buffer, it appears to have run my .profile (which sets the PS1, PATH, and
RSYNC_RSH environment variables). But when I run emacs from the task launcher
menu item and start a shell buffer, it appears not to have run my .profile as
it does not have my customized PS1, PATH, and RSYNC_RSH environment variables.
Also, the value of PATH in a shell buffer when emacs is run from the task
launcher menu item is different from either the value of PATH in a root shell
in osso X terminal or a user shell in osso X terminal (prior to my modifying
PATH in .profile). Also, the current directory of programs launched by the
task launcher is /, not /home/user.

My question is this. What is the environment (not just the environment
variables but also the directory, umask, ulimits, etc.) that programs run by
the task launcher get? How can I control that environment? I can I make sure
that .profile is run in the environment in which programs run by the task
launcher are run? I would like the task launcher to run programs in the same
environment and with the same directory as is the case in a shell started up
in a virgin osso X terminal window.

    Jeff (http://www.ece.purdue.edu/~qobi)