Videos and VNC

On Thu, Feb 21, 2008 at 02:58:24PM -0500, Hal Vaughan wrote:
> I'm thinking of using an N770 as the control for a headless system for
> several reasons.  While it's not a must, one thing that would be nice
> is to also view video through such a setup.  There will be times when

If I'm reading your e-mail correctly, you are basically asking two questions:  1) controlling a headless video system (presumably hooked up to a TV for the video output aspect?) with the tablet, and 2) streaming videos to the tablet from the headless video repository.

For the first, there are a couple ways to do this, depending on how the controls work.  You could use a web interface (with https: and auth if you like), or you could look into something like linuxmce.com.  Also, an article from not too far back in the linux Journal discussed this exact thing.  It was pretty good, but I forget what he used.  I could probably look it up, if you like.

For the second, you could look at something like Andrew Flegg's (I think) scripts that basically create the correct video format for the tablet on the fly.  These are really nice, and you might want to check it out.  I forget the actual URL for it, but you should be able to find it along with the tablet-encode stuff on garage.maemo.org.

good luck, I hope to start working on a home linuxmce system sometime in the near future.  It seems pretty darn cool.

In Vino Veritas
http://astroturfgarden.com