New member...new help understanding how to download, and install apps....

On Feb 9, 2008 5:20 AM, Richard Mighty <rgmighty at hotmail.com> wrote:

>  Guys,
>
>  Just received my N800 Friday, I have a question regarding downloading, and
> installing applications.  I'm currently trying to download a SSH client
> server app, 'Dropbear', I've tried downloading the .deb file from Dropbear
> site tried to install to no avail, then tried downloading .tar.gz file same
> thing - what am I doing wrong????

Take a look at:
http://tabletschool.blogspot.com/2007/10/nokia-n800-finding-and-installing-new.html
This tutorial is a bit outdated since it is pre-OS2008 but it is still
quite relevant as the steps are still the same.

They have some nice tutorials to do common tasks at Internet Tablet School.

By far, the best method of installing software is through the
Application Manager but the trick sometimes is setting up the right
combination of application catalogues. Some of the third party ones
don't play well with each other or are very OS specific. Stick with
the maemo.org ones and you won't get into too much trouble. Like
others have said OpenSSH is there in Maemo Extras and works very well
on the N800.

/Mike