Motorola RAZR2 V9m from AT&T

I took my N810 to an AT&T kiosk in a local shopping mall to see if it would
work with the Motorola RAZR2 V9m. I was able to pair it and establish an
internet connection. Apparently, where I live (Lafayette IN) there is EDGE but
not UMTS/HSDPA (which is due in September). I got between 50-80 kbps which is
consistent with EDGE. But something strange happened. I was able to surf the
web. And I was able to ssh -X into my desktop. But when I ran a remote emacs
on the desktop, I waited 10 to 20 minutes and the window never came up. On a
WiFi/DSL connection, I am able to run a remote emacs tunneled through ssh -X
and the window comes up within about 10 to 20 seconds. I don't know if it is
just that the bandwidth was very low or whether somehow AT&T is filtering
packets or doing bandwidth throttling.

Does anybody know what could cause this? I thought ssh -X encypted the tunneled
X traffic so that it would be impossible to detect?

    Jeff (http://www.ece.purdue.edu/~qobi)