how do I find out the IP address assigned?

I suggest IpHome, this is my home/desktop plugin that shows the current IP
address of your network
devices. Notifies you of any new interfaces or any changes of IP addresses.

IpHome for N8x0:
http://www.mulliner.org/blog/blosxom.cgi/2008/01/25#iphome05maemo4

Collin