Nokia buys Trolltech

Steve Yelvington wrote:
> Now, this is interesting.
>
> http://trolltech.com/company/newsroom/announcements/press.2008-01-28.4605718236

Okay, usually I don't post FUD, bet here goes:

About 8 months ago, I was working for a company that wanted to utilise
RFID with locational reporting. Nokia sold us on their "Field force"
platform. I was written in Java and used special phones with either RFID
readers built in or RFID readers built in to jackets. I went on a
training course with 2 other people from my company and we were quite
happy and excited with the solution. We were encouraged when the trainer
(nice Spanish fellow) seemed open to feeding our requirements back to
the developers. The API was okay, and the example applications gave us
an "off the shelf" midp applet to get going with.

Right. Here's were it turns out nasty.About 3 or 4 weeks after the
training course, our accounts were canceled and moved to a new server.
Odd we thought. About 2 -3 weeks after that, the entire Field Force
project was canceled. The project was put on maintenance - that is, no
improvements, vague promises of support for 2 or 3 years, and the phone
we required (ruggedised 6xxx series iirc) was canceled. So, the entire
project was thrown off kilter.

I really, really hope that experience will not be repeated here. My
experience with Nokia is otherwise positive, but (making a bit of a
quantum leap) I hope that QTopia will be offered as an alternate, not a
replacement to Maemo. QTopia is a lot more traditional PDA based and I'm
not sure I would like to end up with that as an upgrade path.