imap over ssl on gregale

Howdy!
I was looking for the way to include libssl in the
process or connecting gmail server on ports 993 and
587 for mail handling. The very problem is that
gregale has no openssl frontend, but just libssl.
On unix I use mutt to go to 993. To send mail I
had to recompile msmtp with openssl (32 bit) and
gnutls (64 bit), to finish authentication. Since
the library is installed, ssl probably needs some
variable to be set. If i.e. $SSL points to correct
libssl.so.0.9.7 path, the call to connect mutt
to port 993 and further mail sending to 587/465
should be transparent. Any idea?
Some perl modules already exist, Net::SMTP::SSL,
Net::SSLeay etc. Some of them have precompiled C
code. The device is, as you guessed, 770 and gregale.
I suppose that I missed something obvious.
Best regards

                          Zoran