List of Repository for OS2008

Marius Gedminas <marius at pov.lt> wrote:

> On Sun, Jan 13, 2008 at 12:34:08AM +0000, Neil MacLeod wrote:
>> Categorisation of applications is another problem area (old chestnut)
>> that should be consistently observed to avoid the Application Manager
>> button mess that is once again steadily increasing. For example, why
>> the hell does Boingo get it's own button/category? It's a
>> communications-related application, so it should be categorised under
>> "Communication". Or "Comm.". Or "Connectivity". Or... "Utilities", or
>> even "utilities" (this is all getting beyond a joke now).
>
> Yup.  It's mostly a matter of disseminating information, I hope -- the
> official list of categories is not exactly easy to remember/find.
> The link in http://maemo.org/community/wiki/usersections/ is now broken,
> and this wiki page itself took me a while to find.
>
> When I built a couple of command-line tools, I simply prepended "user/"
> in the Section: net line in debian/control, because I couldn't remember
> the names of the official categories.

    Seems like the following would be a simple solution. Package
    builders clearly want their packages to appear in the application
    manager. So just change the application manager to only show the
    "approved" categories. It already filters by user/; it might as
    well filter by the entire category. Of course this might mean that
    everyone just uses user/misc or something like that by default but
    it would at least limit the number of categories. This also makes
    it easy for you to find the list of official categories. No more
    searching on wikis. Just open up the application manager.