WPA PEAP MSCHAPV2 wifi net access not working

nfaria at fe.up.pt wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've just bought a N810 (what a great machine, exactly what I needed and
> wanted...).
>
> I've been trying to connect to my office wifi network but it is not
> working.
> Would someone, please, give me a clue to what may be happening?
>
> Here is a description of the problem:
>
> The network APs (CISCO) are configured to answer to a PEAP MSCHAPv2
> access request. I configured wpa_supplicant on my linux laptop and it
> works. On the N810, it detects the network, starts the access proccess,
> but then asks for the WEP key (I have no other key besides the
> password).
> When I re-enter the password (it had been previously defined on the
> config file), the connection aborts with the message that it could not
> retrieve the IP address and suggests that the WEP key may be wrong.
> I have checked the password several times over!
>
> Thanks,
>
> Nuno Faria (nfaria at fe.up.pt)
>
> PS: Here are the details that may help solving the problem
>
> Here is the wpa_supplicant.conf file on the linux laptop:
>
> network={
>        ssid="Biotempo"
>        scan_ssid=1
>        key_mgmt=IEEE8021X
>        eap=PEAP
>        phase2="auth=MSCHAPV2"
>        identity="Biotempo"
>        password="XXXXXXXXXXXXX"
> }
>
> NOTE: Password contains # and $ symbols, besides letter and number
> characters
>
> On the N810, I introduced the following configuration:
> Connection type: WLAN
> SSID: Biotempo
> Network is hidden: yes
> Network mode: Infrastructure
> Security method: WPA with EAP
> EAP type: PEAP
> Select certificate: None
> EAP method: EAP MSCHAPv2
> User name: Biotempo
> Password: XXXXXXXXXXXXX
> Prompt password at every login: No
>
> In Advanced:
> No proxies
> Auto-retrieve IP address: yes
> WPA2-only mode: No
> EAP: No to every question

Try entering a manual username (your real username) under the advanced
EAP settings - counterintuitive, but that's what worked for me.  Pretty
much the same network setup in my office.

Here is my 'resolved' email:
http://lists.maemo.org/pipermail/maemo-users/2007-December/008172.html

HTH,
Josh