Swap space: how is it allocated / released?

Hi,

How's swap space allocated on the internal SD card on IT OS? I thought it
was by means of a separate partition but when mounting the SD card on
Destop linux system (via USB) only a single 'msdos' partition is shown.

I have an 8 GB card (brand X) that was being used in the internal slot of
my N800 -- with swapping enabled. I used the card on a Linux Desktop
system after partitioning / formatting (fdisk and mkfs.msdos) it with a
single 'msdos' partition.

Now the card shows a [useable] Total Space that is exactly 128 MB less
than my other (brand Y) cards -- 7.52 GB vs 7.64. One explanation could be
that brand-X cards indeed have less space than brand-Y cards... but I
suspect it has more to do with the fact that I repartitioned and
reformated the card -- and somehow lost the original swap allocation.

Any thoughts, anyone?

-- Denis