No subject

which leads me to believe that the problem is more serious, and that
it's a defect in my particular unit. Maybe the circuitry that turns
off the the loudspeakers and switches the output to the headphone jack
when a plug is inserted isn't fully switching over, and the hanging
output is what's causing the problem. The load & impedance
characteristics of the speakers/headphones as opposed to line-inputs,
combined with the fact that there is no additional downstream
amplification, might explain the symptoms.