Getting root on OS2008

On Dec 30, 2007 12:42 PM, Ari Yrj?l? <ayrjola at nospam.invalid> wrote:
> Marius Gedminas <marius at pov.lt> writes:
>
> >  1. Enable the Maemo Extras repository
> >  2. Install openssh
> >  3. Define a root password (openssh's installer prompts you for this)
>
> Doesn't ask anything here with N800.

There seem to be a couple of different openssh packages. Only one
asked me to enter a new root account password, the other was more
"traditional".

> Red pill + 'sudo gainroot' doesn't work either for me:

"Red pill" mode only affects the Application Manager, and disables
checks in the GUI which prevent the direct installation of packages
which don't start with a section of "user/".

"sudo gainroot" will only work as a command in these cases:

    1) R&D mode is enabled using the command line flasher or 0xFFFF
    2) The "becomeroot" package is installed (easiest way, IMHO).

There are other mechanisms for getting root access, though, Marius
outlines one using SSH, for example. However, these only enable "sudo
gainroot" to work if the /usr/sbin/gainroot script is modified once
root access is available.

Hope that helps,

Andrew

--