Nokia_Siemens_Networks_launches_pocket-sized_VoIP

It sounds like not actually using the SIM card for wireless service, but
rather as a way to bill/charge for VoIP when out in the world,
presumably using someone elses (paid or free) wireless connection.
Possibly a way for mobile carriers to break into the "SkypeOut" market.
It presumably would come with (likely Windows-only) software for doing
VoIP and handling billing/authentication through the SIM card ID.

Ryan

Jonathan Greene wrote:
> Sounds cool!  I doubt though that the USB is of the right kind for our
> tablets ... wonder how long that would take one of the community to
> hack around.  :)
>
> On Dec 6, 2007 12:22 PM, Acadia Secure Networks
> <acadiasecurenets at aol.com> wrote:
>
>> All,
>>
>> here is an interesting announcement from Nokia-Siemens this week:
>>
>>     http://www.nokiasiemensnetworks.com/global/Press/Press+releases/news-archive/Nokia_Siemens_Networks_launches_pocket-sized_VoIP.htm
>>

>> I am surprised however that it is going to take until 3Q 2008 to get the
>> product out. I have to assume that the long pole in this tent is the
>> effort to get one or more mobile service providers to implement the
>> necessary functionality in their networks to work with this device,
>> which appears to be SIM card on a usb key.
>>
>> I should hope it will "play" well with the Nokia Internet Tablets.
>> --
>>
>> Best Regards,
>>

>> John Holmblad
>>

>> Acadia Secure Networks, LLC
>>
>> * *
>>

>> <mailto:jholmblad at verizon.net>

Ryan Pavlik
AbiWord Win32 Platform Maintainer, Art Lead: www.abisource.com
AbiWord Community Outreach Project: www.cleardefinition.com/oss/abi/blog/

"Optimism is the father that leads to achievement."
 -- Helen Keller

"The folder structure in a modern Linux distribution such as Ubuntu
was largely inspired by the original UNIX foundations that were
created by men with large beards and sensible jumpers."
 -- Jono Bacon, The Ubuntu Guide