N800 Disk Full? Erratic Behavior

On Sunday 28 October 2007 10:04:02 Peter Bart wrote:

Ok rundown one section at a time.

> /home/user # cd /
> / # df -h
> Filesystem                Size      Used Available Use% Mounted on
> /dev/mtdblock4            2.0M      2.0M         0 100% /mnt/initfs
this will always be at 100% as it's a compressed FS that you don't write too.
(it's what is flashed) No matter how large/small initfs is it's by design
always 100% since it's both a file and a file system.
> none                    512.0k     68.0k    444.0k  13% /mnt/initfs/tmp
tmp is a little heavy but OK ..... No real problem.  this is again part of the
initfs so it's actuall the same as /tmp .... confusing perhaps but it's
related to this being an embeded device not a standard computer.
> /dev/mtdblock4          251.5M    202.2M     49.3M  80% /
Well you've almost filled the on board memory in your root witch means most
likely that you really could stand deleting all of the default video's and
the multiple languaged PDF's maemo comes with.  But still there is a fairly
large about of space left.    No real need to panic until you are above 95%
but close enough to bother to keep your eye on it.
> none                    512.0k     68.0k    444.0k  13% /tmp
this is your temp dir.  Normal
> none                      1.0M     60.0k    964.0k   6% /dev
Ok /dev (or devices) is good.  This is actually a "virtual" partition in that
it's dynamic in nature.
> /dev/mmcblk1p1          120.0M    784.0k    119.3M   1% /media/mmc1
Ok no sweat.  you seem to not even use this card.
> /dev/mmcblk0p1          979.2M    389.5M    589.6M  40% /media/mmc2
no problem here either.

Alright.  The following might go a long way to improving things for you.

1.  Don't save files in /home/user  if all they are is "data" (if it isn't a
lib/driver or executable it's data)
2.  Make a decission on what software you actually use.  I've got a ton of
programs installed and I'm no where near 80% on /  I also use every one of
the programs I have installed.  Daily.  It's just to easy to install on the
fly if I need something to worry about what I might need. Also this is *nix
if you have installed on another box just run it from there.  No need to have
it all local (same thing for data)
3.  go into your (what is that windows word..... oh yeah) control panel and
click memory and enable swap.  Life will be better.  Running as heavy as you
are with installed apps and files, it's likely that the OS really could stand
a memory boost.  That's what this will provide.

The IT is a small foot print device and a Linux system.  Both of which shift
the way non *nix users think about computers.