Can't boot from MMC Card, how to solve this problem?

Mike Yue wrote:
> I used the last time downloaded initfs_flasher, and re-created the deal
> boot menu.

There is no need to do it again. It is not related to the card you want
to boot from.

>(It was too sad that this time the backed up boot image
> overrided the last time backup image, so I lost the original
> non-bootmenu boot image.)

Yon could just answer no to the backup question if you already had
backup :-)

> The bad thing happened at the last step: It took about 15 minutes, then
> the xterm exited without any notice! No reboot, no error, just show the
> default desktop.

Yes, that's the problem. Nokia 770 is not the most stable device in the
world. Just try again starting with formatting already partitioned card

# mke2fs /dev/mmcblk0p2

and then

# mount /dev/mmcblk0p2 /opt
# mount -t jffs2 /dev/mtdblock4 /floppy

> I did the last two steps to reboot:
>     # chroot /mnt/initfs cal-tool --set-root-device ask:mmc2

Again, no need to do again if you did it once. It is not related to
specific card.

> The boot menu was there, but when I choosed to boot from the MMC ext2
> 770 just said that the boot failed and will boot from internal flash
> memory, then booted up the OS. Nothing wrong there just not from MMC card.

If it said that boot failed then even /sbin/init is not found on the
card. Definitely incomplete copy.

> I repeated the full steps at least two again as the manual says, still
> crashed at the targnu step(I sure closed all other apps and WiFi), and
> not bootable MMC card.
>
> Did anyone encounter this problem before? I really appreciate if someone
> help me working out this trouble.

Yes, there are many post about this specific problem in
http://www.internettablettalk.com/ forum. There is no definite solution.
It simply should not crash in the first place. If terminal crashes in
the middle of copy it makes no sense to try to boot such partly copied
system. Just try again.

What you can try:
- enable swap on FAT partition before running tar, this may help a lot.
You may even try to play with swappiness, search internettablettalk
forum for swappiness or seatbelt
- after it fails, reopen terminal again and run 'dmesg' command - if you
see I/O errors there is some problem with the card. If you see out of
memory messages than it makes sense to try again (without rebooting,
just unmounting the card 'umount /floppy' and starting at mke2fs step again.
- if you are adventurous and have the right card you may try to flash
kernel with multiblock writing and higher mmc speed.
http://fanoush.wz.cz/maemo/#mmcplus
This will shorten the copy time (like 10 times) and is a good test of
such kernel and your card. It may also help with the out of memory
situation since the faster writing will not fill memory so fast with not
yet written blocks. Before trying this make sure you know how to put
original kernel back or you are comfortable with the idea of reflashing
whole device.

Also you could boot to bootmenu usb network recovery mode and do the
cloning from there (since you have whole memory free at that time) but
this is quite advanced topic and there is no guide.

Frantisek