WPA difficulties

Pretty much everything is working on my N800, including all my WEP
connections. WPA, however, is not.

The campus LAN uses a hidden SSID and requires my MAC address and
provides a username and password. This works fine in WPA Enterprise
using Network-Manager on my Ubuntu Gutsy laptop:

Network Name: (the SSID)
EAP: PEAP
Key: Auto Default
Phase2: None
Identity: (username)
Password: (password)
Anon Ident: (username again)
Client Cert: none
CA Cert: none
Priv Key: none
Priv Key password: blank

In OS 2007, I am using:

Connection name: (I made one up)
Connection type: WLAN
SSID: (the SSID)
Network is hidden: checked
Mode: Infrastructure
Security: WPA with EAP
EAP Type: PEAP
Select cert: none
EAP method: MSCHAPv2
Usename: (username)
Password: (password)
Prompt for password: unchecked (ie No)

In Advanced/EAP:
Use manual username: checked
Manual username: (username)
Require client auth: checked

This spins its wheels and says Authentication Failure. One of the
networking engineers has gone through this with me on the N800 and says
the settings make sense and it all appears to be what is needed...it
just won't connect. He said he can see the request coming through on his
network monitor from my MAC address, but it fails to authenticate.

The problem (in my inexpert understanding) seems to be that WPA allows
for two modes of authentication: (a) client authenticates server and (b)
server authenticates client, but the setting "Require client
authentication" is ambiguous because it's not clear from whose
perspective this is phrased: the client's or the server's :-)  It fails
no matter which way it's checked.

Is there a known problem with WPA authentication? Or am I doing
something obviously wrong?

///Peter