Steve's Ranty Review #1: N800 ogg support and the repository question

Am Freitag, 19. Oktober 2007 schrieb Steve Greenland:
> According to Krischan Keitsch <krischan.keitsch at alumni.tu-berlin.de>:
> > The optimum may be between the two - meaning we need some kind of
> > a quality management for the community efforts. To approve that
> > just verified and checked apps are in the official and universe
> > repositories. So that Jill Random and ourselves can benefit from rock
> > solid high quality apps. What do you think?
>
> Who is going to do the testing and certification? It's a lot of work,
> and not particularly rewarding. And I can guarantee that sooner or later
> some developers will feel personally maltreated by any such group.

Good point.

> Probably the easiest workable solution is something like the Debian
> unstable/testing process, whereby packages are uploaded to unstable, and
> migrate to testing after meeting certain criteria (no new serious bugs,
> installs with only other testing packages, etc.)

Maybe a rating mechanism could help to qualify which app could go to the main
repository (stable)? (Within the constrains of licence, ...) Apps with a low
rating will then be "parked" in unstable? Apps from maemo download can be
rated already.

That would not require a testing and certification team. However, clear rules
are required to make this process transparent.

> But I'd settle for just getting people to use one repo, rather than
> setting up there own.

That would be a step in the right direction.

Regards
Krischan