Steve's Ranty Review #1: N800 ogg support

According to Marius Vollmer  <marius.vollmer at nokia.com>:
> "ext Marius Gedminas" <marius at pov.lt> writes:
>
> > My personal pet peeve with the app manager is all those confirmation
> > dialogs.
>
> Yeah, and there will be more in the future...  There should be at
> least one before starting the operation,

Please Ghod no.

I confirmed the operation when I selected "install" or "remove". In the
rare occasion when I didn't mean to, the worst consequence is that I
have to remove or re-install some app.

The obvious exception, of course, is attempting to remove some required
package, or removing something that's going to break dependencies.

> and we can't get rid of the legal "Notice" dialog for non-certified
> software.

How about letting me mark repos as "okay by me"....or is this just a
case where I need to be a poweruser and use apt-get?

> When using the AM to install system software updates, there will be
> lots more: "please take a backup", "all applications will be closed,
> continue?", "device will reboot, continue?", "don't touch me while
> I do scary things to the kernel", maybe even more. We should try to
> combine these messages.

This needs some thought -- in particular, what defines a "system
software update"? Upgrading the whole system to ITS2008, sure. A kernel
upgrade, probably. But what if the upgrade is just one required package?
Remember, by doing per-package upgrades, you can get this kind of
choice.

Steve
--
Steve Greenland