Steve's Ranty Review #1: N800 ogg support

According to Austin Che  <list-maemo at austinche.name>:
> steveg at moregruel.net (Steve Greenland):
>
> > ...but MPD is not a good solution for an N800 standalone player *at this
> > time*. There are two big issues.
>
>     I just have to say I've been using mpd exclusively as my media
>     player for over a month and have been very happy with it (much
>     more than my attempts with other media players). I mainly like it
>     because it's unintrusive and I want a scriptable interface.

Well, different needs/desires.

> > 1. CPU usage. MPD doesn't use the tremor vorbis library, and thus
> > playing an ogg sucks down about 75% of the CPU. In comparison, with
> > Kagu, the osso-media-server process uses about 25% of the CPU. (Kagu
> > sucks another 10-15% if the screen is active.)
>
>     For me, playing mp3s, mpd always hovers around 10% cpu. I don't
>     have oggs to play to compare.

Ogg Vorbis is a lot more expensive to decode, because the standard
libvorbis uses floating point, while (I *believe*) the standard MP3
decoders are fixed point. Or maybe its just that MP3 is cheaper to
decode anyway.

> > 2. As a straight port of the Debian MPD package, the mpd server restarts
> > automatically on reboot *and resumes playing the oggs*. This is not
> > good, because it slows down the rest of the reboot process quite a bit,
> > and, since there isn't any free CPU, it sounds *dreadful*.
>
>     I personally changed the priority of mpd's start. I moved it to
>     S99mpd in /etc/rc2.d so it doesn't start until after everything is
>     loaded.

This should be the default, I think.

> And if it was playing before you rebooted, don't you want it to
> continue?

No. My N800 gets restarted *a lot* more often than my home server. I
realize (assume, anyway) you're just porting the standard Debian packages,
but it is a different environment.

Anyway, good news in your other post about using the tremor lib. I'll
give it a shot.

Steve
--
Steve Greenland