Steve's Ranty Review #1: N800 ogg support

According to Marius Vollmer  <marius.vollmer at nokia.com>:
> "ext Steve Greenland" <steveg at moregruel.net> writes:
>
> > Mostly it's the clicking/browsing issue.
>
> Ok, understood.  This seems to be the general "I am much more
> productive at the command line than with a WIMP interface" situation.
> I can very much symphatize with that, but it mostly means that the
> Application Manager is not for you.
>
> It is perfectly fine and supported to use apt-get on the device.
> Having apt-get on the device is not just some artifact, it's the
> intended power-user interface that makes it acceptable for us to keep
> the Application Manager pretty basic.

That's a completely reasonable design decision, as is your point about
the magic "fix things" button.

 > [AM showing newly-installed dependencies]
>
> That info was always there (since IT OS 2006).

Well, then I was blind. Not the first time...

> >  [Auto-dependency tracking]
>
> The Application Manager should actually do this (since IT OS 2006).
> [*snip*]
> (In other words, it is conservative when removing things. Not like
> aptitude that goes and deletes half your OS if you are not careful..
> :)

Aww, cmon, this is mostly fixed in aptitude these days. Besides, it made
life exciting!

> Check /var/lib/osso-application-installer/autoinst to see which
> packages are eligible for automatic removal.

Mine's empty, but I probably haven't installed anything to trigger it
via the AM since the re-flash.

> I want to let libapt-pkg do the book keeping in the next release, of
> course.

Excellent news.

Thanks,
steve