Steve's Ranty Review #1: N800 ogg support

Am Donnerstag, 18. Oktober 2007 schrieb Steve Greenland:
> Background: I'm a long-time Debian user and developer, and have grown
> used to 'apt-get install somepackage' *working*. That's one of the
> reasons I purchased the n800; I naively expected that having adopted
> the best packaging *tools* available, the maemo community might also
> adopt the Debian packaging *practices*. You need *both* to get the
> Debian experience. Others have ranted about the general problems, and
> it appears that Nokia and the maemo devels have plans to try to fix the
> problems, so I won't repeat the rant here. Except as it applies to the
> specific packages, of course.
>
> Current state of ogg support, 17-October-2007.

> news? Read on...but let me first throw out a big "thank you" to all the
> people who have worked on this. I rant because it's more fun to write
> rants, and because if you don't write about the problems there's not
> much to say, but I *can* play oggs on my N800, and I appreciate that.

> Ah, now I feel better. Hey, don't complain. I told you it was a rant in
> the subject line.
>
> Regards,
> Steve

Hi Steve,

your review pointed out how redundant and chaotic development for the n800 is
at the moment. I would like to pick up two points from your review:
a) the repository situation - "Were are all the apps?"
b) ogg support - "Time to join forces!"

to a) "Were are all the apps?"
One thing that we are missing is a 'distribution' (the debian or ubuntu way)
with primary repositories  and additional repos. etc. At the moment there are
many different sources for apps: different repositories, personal web pages
from developers, maemo garage ... You name it.

It is already difficult for me (as an experienced linux user)  - so how does
someone with less experience, time and motivation get along? Why is ubuntu so
successfull? One reason might be the ease of installing apps and adding
repositories offering thoughtands of apps. Don't you agree?

My hope is, that we will see some kind of consolidation with chinook and the
ubuntu mobil edition. The time is ready to get serious. Especially with the
n810 and the expected mid's waiting!

to b)
Don't get me wrong: I believe that redundancy and creative chaos will
automatically lead to innovations. Therefore I appreciate the efforts taken
to bring ogg support to the maemo platform. I experimented a little myself
early this year with tremor, vorbis and theora. Til then we did not get much
further - still no dsp assisted tremor support for the maemo platform.

Many attempts are out there I just wish they would join forces now (after
individual experimentation) so that the n8x0 users have a sustainable
solution to listen to their ogg files.

Hmm, I hope I got my thoughts across. I just want to encourage everyone to
help this platform to mature. I believe that we are close to a turning point
where internet tablets and mobile internet device's as well as smarter phones
(openmoko) with there open source software will reach a critical mass!

Regards

Krischan

PS: Did I mention yet that I love my 770 with the latest hacker edition and
the plankton theme?