a crank charger is dangerous for 770?

Antonio

I've got the sidewinder crank charger (~$30). I've seen a generic
model that looks very similar to the "branded" sidewinder for less
(~$10). Apparently the cheaper no-name version does not have a voltage
regulator on the output so the voltage varies as you crank
faster/slower. I'm not sure how much of a risk that would be. You
could attach a voltmeter to see if you have a regulator.

In any case the only serious cranking I've done was at the end of a
hike when I wanted maemo mapper to keep logging my gps tracks after
the low battery alarm started sounding. In about 15 minutes of
cranking it was hard to tell if the battery had gone up at all, but at
least the low-battery warning wasn't sounding during the cranking.

Brad