usb host mode (usb battery)

William wrote:
> I want to use USB host mode on my 770 and am looking for a portable 5V
> power source.
> Right now I'm not sure if I want to build one my self with a 9V battery
> and regulator or buy something.
>
> Any experience with the "Swiss Gear Portable Battery Charger for iPod"?
> http://www.geeks.com/details.asp?invtid=GA-6227-15F00&cat=MP3
>
> or similar?

Don't know the item above but I have this
and it somewhat works. Price and size is good but there is no indication
of low voltage and no voltage converter. You get voltage straight from
the batteries so you need fresh AAA batteries to get 5V or similar. This
is good for usb keyboard, mouse etc but I wouldn't risk to use it with
2.5" usb disk enclosure or usb card reader (i.e. stuff that can corrupt
data when voltage drops).

I have also ordered this one
which is larger but can give more power. I don't have it yet, delivery
times are 2 to 3 weeks. The site sells cheap chinese stuff so beware.
The service is good, prices low and postage is free but you get bad
apple sometimes so don't shop there if you expect 100% quality
everytimes. But that's the only place I know that will ship $2 item
across world for free and then will ship it again for free if you tell
them it is faulty :-)

Frantisek