N800 Power Problems

Marius Gedminas wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 27, 2007 at 11:01:18AM +0300, Tuomas Kuosmanen wrote:
>> On Sun, 2007-08-26 at 12:44 +0100, ext Frederik Ferner wrote:
>>
>>> In my case, I cannot seen any obvious signs but most of the time I plug
>>> the device into power it doesn't even start charging. I managed to start
>>> charging it with a few attempts usually. Today I don't seem to have any
>>> luck, best I got was that it started to charge but by the time I've put
>>> it back on the table and looked again it seems to have stopped charging
>>> again.
>> Try with another charger, it could be a broken plug too..? I had one
>> plug break internally I think, when I tripped over the cord once,
>> sending the whole shebang flying around pretty nicely.. :-]
>>
>> The device was fine, and charges ok with another charger, but that one
>> plug is not working reliably anymore.
>
> I had one charger that I carried around in my backpack and once in my
> pocket.  I guess the cord didn't like the bending too much, as now it no
> longer charges reliably.  Moving it a bit on the AC plug end sometimes
> helps.  A friend with a soldering iron fixed it for me, and now I don't
> carry it around any more.

I had a similar problem - my N800 charger has an abnormally thin cable,
which is very easily damaged by normal use. I got a new Nokia mobile
phone, and its charger had a much more robust cable. Problem solved.

I took the N800 into the local Nokia service centre, on the off chance.
They said "that is not on our list of phones" and added that they
would have to send it off to Nokia - even though you could see the
copper sticking through the charger cable. Needless to say, I
declined their kind offer.

Presumably under the sale of goods act (in UK at least) Nokia should
replace the charger. Any bright ideas about how to get that to
happen, cheaply and quickly?

Paul Dundas