Problems with libgtk.

Huang Shan wrote:
> Ryan Pavlik wrote:
>> Huang Shan wrote:
>>> I have run into problems resulting in an unbootable N800.
>>> The story is described in the internettabletalk forum:
>>> http://www.internettablettalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8992
>>>
>>> The story short:
>>> my N800 stops booting after the progress bar reaches about 90%.
>>> The errors :
>>> 1. Before the last reboot I could not start evince with error:
>>> libgtk-x11-2.0 undefined symbol osso_g_scanner_cache_open
>>> 2. The boot process seems to fail because of
>>> user.log:Aug 19 12:52:11 Nokia-N800-26 DSME: Non-root process
>>> '/usr/bin/systemui' spawning too fast -> remove it
>>>
>>> The installed libgtk2.0 on my broken IT is different from the
>>> libgtk2.0 as found in the newest flash image. The only explanation
>>> why, is an update of magic.sys which I started from the Application
>>> Manager previous to the problems.
>>> I suspect the libgtk2.0 library in the
>>> http://repository.maemo.org/pool/bora/free/binary/
>>> be the problem.
>>>
>>> For more details please refer to the forum.
>>>
>>> I hope this is the right place to ask for fix of this library in the
>>> repository.
>>>
>>> By the way: is there a different way to rescue the N800 besides a
>>> reinstall ?
>>>
>>> Thanks.
>>>

>> Upgrading non-user installed packages from within the Application
>> Manager (that is, in red pill mode) is not supported as of Maemo 3.2
>> and will generally brick your device.  If you can find an older
>> package and downgrade again in red pill mode, that might work, but
>> magic:sys is a metapackage that is work toward supporting a
>> "dist-upgrade" type thing, as far as I know.  The only sure fix is a
>> reflash.
>>
>> Hope this helps!
>>
>> Ryan
>>
> Thanks Ryan,
> I have reformatted my root-fs and I am reinstalling the apps.
> I am not sure where I took the wrong step though.
> I did not upgrade libgtk from the AppMgr.
> Is magic:sys not the right item to use to update the system easily
> with the newest versions of installed software?
> Why is the wrong version of libgtk2.0 lying around in the repository ?
> (It has the "right" version number, but the contents are two months
> older than the 4-2007-OS version. I suspect these libs to brick the IT.)
>

> Christian

Upgrading magic:sys will upgrade other packages.  The repositories also
contain packages intended only for the SDK (scratchbox).  Moral of the
story:  Don't upgrade when in red pill mode!  You don't need red pill
mode for root, or really for very much at all, so stay out of it except
for short times.

Ryan

--
Ryan Pavlik
AbiWord Win32 Platform Maintainer, Art Lead: www.abisource.com

"Optimism is the father that leads to achievement."
 -- Helen Keller

"The folder structure in a modern Linux distribution such as Ubuntu
was largely inspired by the original UNIX foundations that were
created by men with large beards and sensible jumpers."
 -- Jono Bacon, The Ubuntu Guide