Abiword craps out

James Knott wrote:
> I have just installed Abiword on my N800.  However, I find it is very
> unstable.  I just have to touch the open document and it will cause
> Abiword to crash.  Has anyone else experienced this?  Is there some way
> to make it usable?
>
> tnx jk

AbiWord is built for the 770 at this time.  Installing the package (by
adding the Mistral repository) on an N800 does work, but due to the ABI
break between IT2006 and IT2007, there are some problems.  Perhaps the
most obvious is that if you let the tablet fall asleep with AbiWord
open, it will crash when you wake it back up.  Additionally (and I think
for a similar reason, though perhaps not), AbiWord seems to crash if you
click to the right of the text (in the "margin").  I will be working on
improving the Maemo port of AbiWord (indeed, these problems are because
the app is _very_ Hildonized and so greatly affected by the API/ABI
break) and building new version for the N800.  However, I am currently
working on AbiCollab for the Summer of Code, and so that deadline comes
first.  Hopefully within a month or two.  Until then, knowing those two
crash triggers and avoiding them works, if quite inelegant.  (Opening
DOC files doesn't work either, for an unrelated reason - dodgy iconv on
the tablet - but a patch has been committed to the appropriate place,
and as far as I know the other present import/export filters, including
ODT, should be working)

Hope this helps!

(If any developers are listening - I'm attempting to get AbiWord 2.5.x
working because the structure of the embedded builds changed a lot
between 2.4.x and the current development series, so that is where it
makes sense to concentrate one's efforts.  A reliable source and binary
package for armel and x86 of the AbiWord dependencies with the maemo
package would be greatly appreciated.  To make an AbiWord package for
Maemo, read the directions in abiword/src/pkg/maemo/ - the debian
packaging/control files are already created.  You may email me directly
or email the AbiWord developer list.)

Ryan

--
Ryan Pavlik
AbiWord Win32 Platform Maintainer, Art Lead: www.abisource.com

"Optimism is the father that leads to achievement."
 -- Helen Keller

"The folder structure in a modern Linux distribution such as Ubuntu
was largely inspired by the original UNIX foundations that were
created by men with large beards and sensible jumpers."
 -- Jono Bacon, The Ubuntu Guide