Update software

James Knott wrote:
> Mikhail Sobolev wrote:
>> On Wed, May 30, 2007 at 12:58:04PM -0400, James Knott wrote:
>>
>>> I see there's a software update available for the N800.  Before I
>>> install it, I'd like to know if the update will delete my apps or data
>>> and if the backup will protect those items.
>>>
>> Updating software means that all your applications and data will be
>> deleted.  You must perform backup before update, however you should
>> remember that:
>>  * applications won't be saved, so you'll need to install them again
>>  * only some data will be saved as not all applications indicate what
>>    should be stored during backup
>>

> I just noticed you have to use Windows to update the software.  Is there
> any other method that does not require Windows?

You can update using Linux using a flasher-3.0 binary downloaded from here:

http://tablets-dev.nokia.com/d3.php

Instructions in the Wiki but basically connect the USB cable between the N800 and Linux box, power on the N800 while holding the "Home" button and the device should enter "flasher" mode. Flash the device with "flasher-3.0 -F <firmwareimage> -r -R"