Next steps in the future of our beloved Nokia 770

On Mon, 2007-04-30 at 13:05 +0300, Quim Gil wrote:
> We are moving websites and the planet is suffering from that. CCing here
> to make sure you know about this:
>
> Next steps in the future of our beloved Nokia 770
> http://desdeamericaconamor.org/blog/node/356
>

> Many of you have been requesting more definition about the support to
> the Nokia 770 Internet Tablet. The pilot around the IT OS 2007 Hacker
> Edition has been relatively successful, according to your own feedback.
> Your tests, ideas, work and also your constructive critique always help
> us working more and better. Big thank you! I hope we are in a condition
> to give back.
> Now it?s time to make new decisions.

	Having just flashed a 770 with the hacker edition I would have to say
I'm impressed. Not that I've actually used it in day to day operations
but that will come soon enough. Thank you for this!

> We will keep working on the IT OS 2007 Hacker edition for the 770. We
> will go through IT OS 2006 bugs submitted in maemo?s Bugzilla, trying to
> solve at least the most relevant and the ones already fixed in the
> official IT OS 2007. We will release the fixes in updated images, all of
> them unofficial and to be used at your own risk. We can?t make any
> promise on performance levels or specific bug fixes, but hopefully you
> will be happier than now with the results.

	That is very good news indeed!

> There is something we need to explain better and you need to understand:
> we want to bring open source to a world-class success, even if we are
> not in a condition of becoming the popes of openness ourselves. Go to
> the upstream projects powering a big percentage of the maemo platform
> and look what are our contributions there. Many developers and even some
> of Nokia's competitors are benefiting from this contribution. I?d also
> say that we are active in the right forums, collaborating with the right
> people.

	I will have to quote so many others that have said it before I,
although I've had the same experience. "I've had other handheld devices
that had the same software and OS from the day I bought them to the day
I put them away." At least in that respect I would say the Maemo
platform is vastly different. And of course in that I; as an end user;
can communicate with the manufacturer and software developers.

> But there are other factors like quality Nokia puts in front of openness
> when selecting hardware. Nokia does not hesitate offering non-free
> codecs when there is a demand for them. Nokia makes agreements with
> commercial partners about services not based in open source, if they are
> awaited by the customers. These are the kind of steps Nokia believes
> that needs to do in order to bring a successful product to the mass
> market. We are doing these steps betting in open source today, and in
> its evolution in the following years.
>
> This is our goal, and sometimes we need to rush in order to achieve the
> milestones in the way. The 770 support while delivering the N800 on time
> suffered from one of these sprints. A mistake was made, our apologies.
> We are trying to ammend it and learn from it. Please be patient with
> this ongoing project, and expect progress from our side around the
> topics that concern you most.

	I would have to grudgingly have to agree with you. I was one of the 770
owners that felt orphaned, yet I chose to buy an 800 when it came time
to upgrade. (I foolishly used mine w/o a screen protector in a
construction field) I am impressed by the overall quality, aesthetics,
and software of the 800. Despite the battery door! One only notices that
because the 800 does not have a cover that slides over the back like
it's little brother.

Best Regards,

--
Peter Bart <peter at petertheplumber.net>