Media Player Syncing (was Re: Adobe Media Player...)

On Wed, Apr 18, 2007 at 05:39:56PM -0400, Mike Lococo wrote:
> >>... attempt to make an "iTunes killer" of sorts... It would be so
> >>nice to have a media app on IT and computer that synced like
> >>iTunes does.
> >
> >When I plug my 770 (or any USB-drive) into my computer with a
> >recently-downloaded version of Winamp, Winamp asks if I want to
> >manage media on it.
>
> Many apps can be used to sync file trees (that can contain media files).
>  The tricky part is setting up playcount and metadata syncing.  What
> iTunes/iPods do that's cool is:
>
>  * Keep track of what you listen to and do cool stuff with it.  Find
>    your favorite albums, suggest artists that you haven't listened to
>    recently that are similar to what you're listening to now, etc.

While not open source, WinAmp does keep track of how much you listen to songs and such, and I'm sure this translates into what you put on the music player.  Now, without corresponding software on the player (770), I suppose some of this data is worthless, however, if the computer is syncing a subset of your collection based upon your listening habits, the function is approximated, if only uni-directionally.

I don't know enough about WinAmp's metadata, but with applications like it, Amarok, etc, I would think the ability is there to sync, say, an XML file or something, and it is the player on the mobile device that needs to be upgraded.

I would like to see something like this available on the Internet Tablet.  What would likely be best is an open-source project that aims to create an embedded player (that can be used by dedicated mp3 players) and a full application that could be installed on the tablet and ported to other systems.

In Vino Veritas
http://astroturfgarden.com