GPS receiver problem after N800 flash

On Sun, Apr 01, 2007 at 05:10:27PM +0200, Benjam? Villoslada wrote:
> El Dissabte 31 Mar? 2007 21:15, Benjam? Villoslada va escriure:
> > When I enable GPS, then establish connection and Maemo Mapper doesn't
> > respond anymore.
>
> More info:
>
> With GPS enabled:
>
> - Maemo-Mapper goes to > 95	% CPU consumption.
> - Screen doesn't refresh (i.e. appears a blank zone when I display the menu)

The symptoms indicate that maemo mapper goes into an infinite loop
somewhere.

Random thoughts:

  * I have not registered my GPS anywhere in the control panel.  I've
    heard that N800 comes with gpsd that allows multiple applications to
    use the GPS at the same time.  Perhaps Maemo Mapper instead of using
    gpsd tries to access the GPS directly and they conflict?

  * Does your device send proper NMEA sequences?  There should be a way
    to test it with rfcomm bind rfcomm0 XX:XX:XX:XX:XX followed by
    cat /dev/rfcomm0.  If you get binary gunk instead, then your GPS is
    switched to some other protocol (e.g. SiRF) and Maemo Mapper does
    not understand it.  It is possible that these unexpected messages
    may trigger a bug in Maemo Mapper's parser causing it to loop
    forever.

The best way to figure out what is happening would be to build
maemo-mapper with debug symbols and attach gdb to it when it starts
looping.

Marius Gedminas
--
MCSE == Minesweeper Consultant / Solitaire Expert