help

jerry f stutte wrote:
> I found myself a little discouraged seeing that the kernel
> lacked support for the linux file system.  I was hoping that it would
> contain the ext2 support with no journaling.

There is included support for ext2 but as a module. There is currently
no reason to have it directly in kernel wasting RAM for 99% of people.

> Q1 are there kernel tarballs available for the platforms that would
> allow some one like my self to attempt hacks on these kernels to allow
> someone like my self to attempt to create patches addressing some of my
> questions.

Yes. However the one for latest firmware is not released yet. SDHC
definitely needs to be in kernel but when enabling additional features
already present in kernel (ext2) consider using modules if you plan to
publish such kernels. It is not fun to see tons of precompiled kernels
floating on the net with various random bits enabled. Poor user who need
two such features from different kernels :-)

> Comment   Is it my imagination that maemo has avoided ext2 support for a
> good reason that I don't understand.  I assumed that it would have been
> standard on the N800 from the start.

No need to have it directly in kernel. It is not too hard to 'insmod' it
if you need it, modules are in /mnt/initfs/lib/modules/<kernel version>

If you use the bootmenu [1], it can even insmod it for you (even if you
boot from internal flash) if you add it to bootmenu.conf file.

> q5    can anyone reccomend running the 2007 kernel posted for the n770
> or does it slow the n770 device down to much!

I did not notice any slowdown (exept maybe the metalayer-crawler on
boot). I did notice better stability and improved interface. 2007 on 770
is my primary system now.

As for the kernel thing in your question, well, it is not kernel, kernel
is exactly the same one as in IT2006 (which is good since you can
dualboot between 2007 and 2006).

Frantisek

BTW, subject named "Help" is asking to be ignored :-)

1. http://fanoush.wz.cz/maemo/#initfs