N800 - Bluetooth not starting

I have been having problems starting Bluetooth on my N800. I run the
Bluetooth Control panel, turn it on, click OK. The dialog goes away, but
then the control panel app becomes unresponsive. Sometimes, the
Bluetooth panel opens again, but now the device name is gone.

In any case, the Bluetooth icon is not appearing after Bluetooth is
activated. Sometimes it reappears after turning it off then back on.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
tom
--