N800: Debian packages, PIM suite, WLAN chip, battery

Hi,

On Tue, Mar 06, 2007 at 08:35:46AM +0100, Thomas H?hn wrote:
> I'm currently thinking about buying a N800, after some friends won the
> N770 at Gnome's GUADEC and were quite happy with it.

I was extremely happy with my 770, and even happier with the N800.
(That does not mean both devices do not have any flaws -- they have
plenty, especially on the software side.  Nevertheless I am very happy
with them.)

> What I don't get so far is: Can I use normal Debian packages from
> ftp.debian.org?

No, not yet -- different ABI (http://wiki.debian.org/ArmEabiPort).
Debian plans to migrate to EABI.

Usually it is not too difficult to recompile Debian source packages for
Maemo.

> The maemo wiki's application list looks quite empty
> compared to the list for the N770, and it would sure be nice if I were
> able to get any app from the vast pool that Debian supplies. Still, I
> fear that's not possible?

The wiki application catalog is deprecated (although some people still
update it).  The new catalog is http://downloads.maemo.org/.
Unfortunately not all applications are added there.

> Does the N800 come with some PIM suite (at least calendar, contacts,
> appointments) preinstalled (that is, from Nokia)?

No.

There's a Contacts application, but it only stores email addresses and
Jabber/Google Talk IDs.

> What kind of WLAN chip is used in the device?

I don't remember.  It supports 802.11b and 802.11g.

> Is the battery pack one that is used with other Nokia devices
> (especially mobile phones), too? Would be nice, since those are usually
> cheap to get.

Yes.

Marius Gedminas
--
Life was simple before World War II. After that, we had systems.
        -- Grace Murray Hopper, 1987