Nightly reboots

Hi,

ext Marius Gedminas wrote:
>> My N800 has been restarting each night sometime after 2am EST (that's
>> as late as I've been up).  I leave it plugged in either on my night
>> table or on my desk and when I go to use it in the am, it's clearly
>> been restarted (bluetooth off, no apps open).
>
> Mine does something similar.  It doesn't reboot *every* night, but it
> reboots every now and then (roughly a couple of times per week).
>
>> Is there any way to see what's causing this
>
> http://maemo.org/maemowiki/ReportingRebootIssues
>
> My last two spontaneous reboots were attributed to 32_wd (ie. the
> watchdog).
>
>> to try and prevent it from happening?
>
> I'd love to know.
>
> (Disabling lifeguard resets with the flasher does not count.
> Besides, I don't think it disables the watchdog.)

It disables the SW watchdog, but 32_wd is the HW watchdog.

I've never encountered this reboot.  Had you been doing a lot of disk
operations (*both* saving and removing large amounts of data from the
internal Flash) before the night on which the device reboots?

My suspicion is that sometimes the JFFS2 file system garbage collecting
might keep the kernel busy for >1/2 minute without yielding the control
back to scheduler.  Normally the JFFS2 GC happens only on bootup (in
case you were wondering why the booting is sometimes slower), but
it can be run also during normal usage. HW watchdog reboots the
device if it's not refreshed within 1/2 min (in the JFFS2 case the
device would probably unfreeze / function normally after GC has
finished).

	- Eero