[maemo-users] 'Locking down' software installation

On 2/15/07, Marius Vollmer <marius.vollmer at nokia.com> wrote:

> The set of trusted sources will be under control of a power-user: you
> can just add some GPG keys to the right place, but there is no UI to
> do it.  You can also switch the whole lock-down machinery off by going
> to red-pill mode.
>
> So whaddaya think?  Useful?  Too painful?  Too difficult to escape
> from?

I like it. The whole thing, especially the part quoted above. I don't think
there's any need for a this version or newer meta-package with the ability
to override the system or add trusted sources as you described above. The
community can always create such a package if it really becomes necessary
for power-users; meta packages are straight forward enough. But after
bricking my device at least twice during the first week I had it by doing
"apt-get dist-upgrade" it would be nice to have a strict version-dependent
meta package. Then even apt-get would complain about conflicts on the
command line.

I like it. How soon can we start ;)

--Paul