[maemo-users] 'Locking down' software installation

"ext Jonathan Greene" <atmasphere at atmasphere.net> writes:

> As a user, I like how this sounds.  I hope it also means that the
> Application Manager and user experience will be largely free of
> having to add repositories.

That is a separate thing, but yes, locking down system package
upgrades might make it more acceptable to ship the device with more
repositories pre-configured.  The maemo Extras repository comes to
mind, of course, and maybe even the maemo SDK repository.

> This could make finding new applications easier and more complete
> than the current process which still requires some desire to explore
> and understand the dependency factor.

Hopefully the new Application Catalogue with the .install files makes
adding repositories easy enough.

> Is it possible for some of the installs to simply ask for a password -
> in the same way that Apple OSX does it.

I don't see this happening.