[maemo-users] Re: Brocked a third time

On 2/13/07, Aniello Del Sorbo <anidel at gmail.com> wrote:

> Zoran Kolic wrote:
> >> Why should the installer need to be root to do so?
> >
> > Looks like 770/800 is not ready for user-space apps. It is a new kind
> > of philosophy on unix field. Personaly, I don't like it much, but a
> > lot of folks have stars in the eyes.
>
> Yes it is a rather new philosophy. Ubuntu and Mac OS X embraced it
> already.
> It can help. A user app cannot mess with the system UNLESS the user
> enters a password.
> It's different than just clicking "OK" on a warning.

OFFTOPIC:
Ubuntu does not, not sure about Mac OS X. Ubuntu /always/ requires a
password to install anything because dpkg is run as root. Ubuntu uses the
same old philosophy as the other systems. The only difference is Ubuntu runs
with the actual root account disabled and sudo as the only method to gain
root, similar to our Nokias. This idea isn't new, it's just not common to be
setup that way by default.

AFAIK, user-space-apps are more like what you were describing: some apps
require root to install, others do not. I don't know of any distribution
setup this way by default.

--Paul