[maemo-users] Re: Note to Nokia Maemo team... we need (ok, would really like) this

On 2/12/07, Neil MacLeod <gmane at nmacleod.com> wrote:
> Jon Smirl wrote:

> >> I hope so. Today I tried to read an article on www.theregister.co.uk
> >> and this site is unfortunately floating a Flash-based advert over the
> >> top of each article. When I went to read one article the N800 browser
> >> hung while it tried to display the Flash advert, and after 20 minutes
> >> it still hadn't finished displaying the advert. A further 5 minutes of
> >> "back" button pressing later succeeded in extricating myself from the
> >> page and disabling the Flash plug-in entirely. About 30 minutes later
> >> the device shut down because the battery was low!!
> >

> > maps.yahoo.com with flash interface doesn't work
> > www.zillow.com which uses flash doesn't work
> >
> > Neither of these display video.
> > They seem to hang forever.
> >
> An update on the problem page I'm accessing on theregsiter.co.uk web site.
>
> It's this page: http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/02/08/rtfm_episode_3
>
> This article has a Flash advert in the right-hand column. However, if you view the page on the N800 maemo-launcher consumes 95%+ CPU/20% MEM. The browser application is rendered unresponsive but can be killed, which is generally the only option. Interestingly if Optimised View is enabled, the Flash advert that should appear in the right-hand column floats over the main page in the top left corner - CPU is still through the roof however.
>
> It's ironic that the advert in question is by Crucial with the tag line "Is your computer running slowly?" - I kid you not... :)

try clicking the Accuweather default bookmark.  There's a very healthy
delay to the point where the N800 asks if you want to abort the
script.

Also - try looking for N800 accessories on the Europe Nokia site...
takes forever!

Both flash related.

--
Jonathan Greene