[maemo-users] Bad Freedom Input keyboard or poor kbdd driver on N800?

> On 10/02/07, centipede <centipede at takhis.net> wrote:
>> I almost has to punch down the keys
>> and hold them for a short while. The keys seem to soften up a bit, when
>> used. But still a lot of keypresses are missed. I've watched the
>> output of
>> kbdd in the shell, and it seems like the driver skips more keys the
>> faster
>> I type.

Are you sure keypresses are lost or they are simply received too late?

If they are really lost this is probably something on lower bluetooth
level in n800 or in the keyboard (can you try fresh batteries?). kbdd
uses serial rfcomm connection which should be reliable like TCP socket
(i.e do not loose random bytes).
http://www.palowireless.com/infotooth/tutorial/rfcomm.asp#Reliability

Also make sure you don't have more kbdd executables running or anything
else that could steal data from same /dev/rfcommX device. I'm not sure
this can happen but just in case.

Gavin O' Gorman wrote:
> There is some lag, akin to a ssh session over a modem
> perhaps and on the rare occasion the keys do repeat.

Noticed this occasionally too. That's why I tried to renice kbdd in
btkbd script. key repeat is caused by key release keycode received too
late so the automatic autorepeat imlemented in kernel input subsystem
kicks in. Not sure if it is related to busy CPU or lag in bluetooth
transmission. Could be also fixed by increasing timeout for autorepeat
but this can be uncomfortable when you do need the autorepeat
(scrolling, deleting). With ipaq bluetooth keyboard and N770 it works
mostly ok. Will test on N800 when I finally get it (hopefully end of
this or next week).

Frantisek