[maemo-users] Internal Error. Application closed.

On 2/9/07, Eero Tamminen <eero.tamminen at nokia.com> wrote:
> Hi,

> >> Which release you're using?
> >>
> >> My first quess would be that the device runs out of memory (because
> >> something (Canola?) is using a lot of it, maybe because it leaks) and
> >> allocations are denied to applications (by kernel) and if that happens
> >> inside anything using Glib (such as Gtk), the Glib aborts the process.
> >>
> >> How much free memory (free+buffers+cached) the device has when this
> >> starts to happen more frequently?
> >>
> >> Anyway, I don't see what in R&D mode could be affecting memory usage...
> >>
> >> Could you isolate it better?

> >> I've never seen this error message.
> >> Does it come from the application or the D-BUS daemon?
> >>
> >> What:
> >>         cat /proc/sys/fs/file-nr
> >> tells about file descriptor usage in the whole system?
> >>
> >> And what:
> >> --------------------------------
> >> for pid in /proc/[0-9]*; do
> >>    cmd=$(tr '\0' ' '<$pid/cmdline);
> >>    if [ "$cmd" ]; then
> >>      echo "$(ls -l $pid/fd/|wc -l) ${cmd%% *}[${pid##*/}]";
> >>    fi;
> >> done|sort -n
> >> --------------------------------
> >> lists as number of file descriptors used by the processes?
> >
> > attached are the results I got when error happens. You can see that
> > file descriptors are still available.
> >
> > This is with canolla installed, but canola app itself is not running.
> > However, there is canola-conf and avahi running.
> >
> > Seems that the session bus is saturated, launching apps from xterm
> > (with and without run-standalone.sh) display:
> >
> > GLIB WARNING ** GConf - Client failed to connect to the D-BUS daemon:
> > The maximum number of active connections for UID 29999 has been reached
> > GConf Error: No D-BUS daemon running
>
> Ok, the maximum number error comes from D-BUS.  UID 29999 is the "user"
> under which all the applications (and some other processes) in the
> device are run under.  D-BUS seems to be keeping could of connections
> per user which in Maemo doesn't make sense, as almost everything is run
> as "user" user and almost everything uses D-BUS.
>

> > Any hints?
>
> Seems like something does a lot of D-BUS connections.
>
> According to the file descriptor usage, there are not that many
> connections open at that moment, so maybe D-BUS counts all connections,
> not just active ones in which case e.g. opening and closing D-BUS
> connection each time one sends a message would be really bad also
> for rest of the applications & system, not just for the performance
> of that particular process...
>

> As this problem seems to be Canola related and can happen also after
> Canola is uninstalled and device rebooted, does Canola muck up with
> D-BUS configuration?

I'll check with DBus guys/code what it does.

But canola uses a single dbus connection, we use dbus-glib and they
say the connection is  shared. Same for canola-conf.

This bug shows when I have "speed contacts" on or when I have some
high traffic mail account, like my gmail/pop3. This with a fresh
install/no canola. :-(

--
Gustavo Sverzut Barbieri
Jabber: barbieri at gmail.com