From: maemo-users-bounces at maemo.org [mailto:maemo-users-bounces at maemo.org]
On Behalf Of Gustavo Sverzut Barbieri
Sent: Friday, February 09, 2007 8:53 AM
To: Eero Tamminen
Cc: maemo users
Subject: Re: [maemo-users] Internal Error. Application closed.

On 2/9/07, Eero Tamminen <eero.tamminen at nokia.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> ext Gustavo Sverzut Barbieri wrote:
> >> Anyone see this before on an N800?
> >>
> >> I am getting it for Control Panel, Web, Bookmarks... etc etc...
> >> ahhhh!!!!!
> >>
> >> Do I need to reflash?  Is there some other fix anyone can think of?
> >
> > I've found this and quite isolated the problem.
> >
> > This happens more often if you have rd-mode DISABLED, if you enable it
> > you'll still get this error, but it's rare.
>
> Which release you're using?
>
> My first quess would be that the device runs out of memory (because
> something (Canola?) is using a lot of it, maybe because it leaks) and
> allocations are denied to applications (by kernel) and if that happens
> inside anything using Glib (such as Gtk), the Glib aborts the process.
>
> How much free memory (free+buffers+cached) the device has when this
> starts to happen more frequently?
>
> Anyway, I don't see what in R&D mode could be affecting memory usage...
>
> Could you isolate it better?
>

> > This seems to happen if "exceeded number of DBus connections", at
> > least I get this error when trying to use anything (launch from xterm,
> > both with and without run-standalone)
>
> I've never seen this error message.
> Does it come from the application or the D-BUS daemon?
>
> What:
>         cat /proc/sys/fs/file-nr
> tells about file descriptor usage in the whole system?
>
> And what:
> --------------------------------
> for pid in /proc/[0-9]*; do
>    cmd=$(tr '\0' ' '<$pid/cmdline);
>    if [ "$cmd" ]; then
>      echo "$(ls -l $pid/fd/|wc -l) ${cmd%% *}[${pid##*/}]";
>    fi;
> done|sort -n
> --------------------------------
> lists as number of file descriptors used by the processes?

attached are the results I got when error happens. You can see that
file descriptors are still available.

This is with canolla installed, but canola app itself is not running.
However, there is canola-conf and avahi running.

Seems that the session bus is saturated, launching apps from xterm
(with and without run-standalone.sh) display:

GLIB WARNING ** GConf - Client failed to connect to the D-BUS daemon:
The maximum number of active connections for UID 29999 has been reached
GConf Error: No D-BUS daemon running

Any hints?

--
Gustavo Sverzut Barbieri