[maemo-users] bug #978: metalayer-crawler

Hi,

ext Laurent MARTIN wrote:
>> In the /etc/init.d/metalayer-crawler0, as root replace line:
>>      dsmetool -f "$DAEMON -F" -U $USER
>> with something like:
>>      dsmetool -n 19 -f "$DAEMON -F" -U $USER
>> and then run:
>>    /etc/init.d/metalayer-crawler0 stop
>>    /etc/init.d/metalayer-crawler0 start
>> This should be fairly safe change as dsmetool will just stop
>> restarting crawler if it will obstinately refuse to start. :-)
> I've added "-n 19" to metalayer-crawler0 then rebooted but the daemon
> was still using 80% of CPU after 10 minutes on my N800...

The benefit of nicing the crawler is that then it doesn't take the
CPU from the other processes, it only uses full CPU when other processes
don't need the CPU.   I.e. your device should still remain responsive
although the crawler is working.

The other workaround (mentioned in Bugzilla) of limiting the crawling to
MyDocs directory, is the one that makes crawler not to use CPU so often
/ much.  The downside of that is that then the mediafiles on your MMC/SD
card are not automatically indexed and visible in the Mediaplayer.
You need to start playing them from the file manager instead...

10 minutes is a very long time though, does fsck report issues with the
FAT filesystem of your card?   If not, please run the script from my
earlier mail and mail its results here (i.e. how many files and of
what type you had on your card).  Or even easier, just report:
ls -laR /media/mmc1/ output i.e. full file listing for you card.

	- Eero