[maemo-users] Wired keyboard and N800

On 1/31/07, Marius Gedminas <marius at pov.lt> wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 31, 2007 at 12:41:37PM -0500, Jon Smirl wrote:
> > On 1/31/07, Luca Donaggio <donaggio at gmail.com> wrote:
> > >That's exactly what I've done: I modified a powered hub to inject power to
> > >the N800 too. It used to work on the 770, but not on the N800, so maybe
> > >there's something else involved which I'm not aware of.
> >
> > They should have also made the N770/800 chargeable from the USB port.
> > That way you can avoid carrying a charger around and charge it from
> > your laptop or phone charger (most phones are switching to USB
> > charging).
>
> When you plug the USB cable, the Nokia tablets unmount the MMC card so
> that it could be exported via USB as a block device.
>
> It would be *very* annoying if I couldn't play mp3s from the MMC card
> while the tablet was being charged.

Simply charging by USB does not count as an active USB connection.
You can charge without unmounting the device.

With some creative software you could also remove the need to have
only one side using the MMC card. Doing that would probably require
exporting the card vs NFS instead of as a USB block device. Plugging
in the USB cable could automatically trigger loading/unloading the USB
networking module and start the in-kernel NFS server.

Another way would be to add a simple UI that pops up when an active
USB host is connected. It would just ask if you wanted the MMC
exported over USB and give you a chance to say no.