[maemo-users] Tips for best usage & maintainance practices for N800 ?

The heat is just the system being well used!  :)  Mine does the same
-- especially streaming for an extended period.

I don't power-off at all - just leave it on and use the Power Key /
D-Pad combo to lock the screen and buttons.  If you match the duration
(Control Panel / Display) for both the Brightness and switch off (say
to 2 min) the screen will immediately shut down and lock.  The unit is
still on and will actually still remain or continue to connect based
on your timeout settings... I usually leave mine in this way on my
night stand charging overnight and in the am, it's connected and live
with the latest info...   I have the RSS Reader set to auto-refresh
every 30 min on any connection which re-initiates any timed out issue.

Unlike the Palm, there is an actual power function, which you can opt
to use if you like.  I think it's a personal thing.  I like that it's
just on and ready to do what I ask, without having to wait the 1-2 min
to start up.