[maemo-users] Re: Battery Benchmarking?

On Tue Jan 23 09:19:58 2007, Kalle Valo wrote:
> "Dave Cridland" <dave at cridland.net> writes:
>
> > On Mon Jan 15 09:09:37 2007, Kalle Valo wrote:
> >> Netfilter is used to track idle connections and that's why
> iptables
> >> is
> >> installed.
> >
> > Hmmm... Catching up on my mail, I noticed this one...
>
> Same here, way too much email :)

I've been good - only 412 unread out of 40,033 in my INBOX. (And yes,
I can open that fine on my 770 over GPRS).

> > So what does "idle" mean
>
> So that no packets are sent or received on that interface. But IIRC,
> we ignore DHCP packets but any other IP packet is tracked.

Okay, so it's tracking interface level activity?

> > , and what does the 770 do when it sees an "idle" connection?
> >
> > Please tell me it doesn't kill the connection.
>
> It closes the connection. But that's use configurable, it can be set
> from the Connectivity Control Panel applet.

Shuts down the association or the physical interface? (And I know,
I've suddenly switched to OSI-speak to avoid the word "connection"
here)

And is this done merely if associations are idle, or only if there
are no current associations?

It makes a huge difference to the viability of the 770 or N800 as a
platform for mobile email, and I'd have thought it'd degrade the user
experience for XMPP as well. Take a look at the highly readable
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-lemonade-deployments-04.txt
for some general guidance for the mobile email case.

Dave.
Dave Cridland - mailto:dave at cridland.net - xmpp:dwd at jabber.org
  - http://dave.cridland.net/