Fwd: [maemo-users] Upgrading Flash Player?

[thinko while typing in the -users address...]

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Jonathan Matthews-Levine <matthewslevine at gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 23 Jan 2007 08:48:12 +0100
Subject: Re: [maemo-users] Upgrading Flash Player?
To: Amichai Rotman <amichai at iglu.org.il>
Cc: maemo-users at lists.maemo.org

On 1/23/07, Amichai Rotman <amichai at iglu.org.il> wrote:
> Hi all,

Hi Amichi

> I was trying to watch videos online and the Flash Player just hang there on
> the "Loading..." screen. When I tried to upgrade Flash Player from the site,
> it said it's version 6.5.x (I don't remember the exact version - can't check
> it from here - no net access @ work).
>
> 1) Is possible I have less than version 7? Was the version detected
> correctley?

V6, IIRC, on the 770; V7 on the 800.

> 2) How do I check the version on the device? I tried "about:plugins" and got
> "opera:plugins" listing the name, supported file extentions and location but
> no version.

Check the 770/800 specs on the Nokia consumer site :-)
(There may be ways of doing it on the device but I've not needed to, personally)

> 3) How do I upgrade Flash Player to version 7 or even version 9?
> Thanks!

You wait for a OS image to be released that includes an upgraded
version!  The are free flash implementations "out there" that might be
user-installable (their names escape me at present) but I've not
noticed any posts here or on -devel that make me think anyone's
managed to shoehorn them onto the 770/800.

Sorry it's not better news but, FWIW, I've found the 770's strength to
be vanilla web browsing with flash /disabled/ ...

All the best,
Jonathan
Jonathan Matthews-Levine|matthewslevine at gmail.com
  "That sounds vaguely obscene, and if there's one thing I
  cannot *stand*, it's vagueness." -- Dean Grennell