[maemo-users] question on the media center software.

On 12/22/06, James Sparenberg <james at linuxrebel.org> wrote:
> On Wednesday 20 December 2006 10:07, Sameer Verma wrote:
> > Klaasjan Brand wrote:
> > > On 12/20/06, *James Sparenberg* <james at linuxrebel.org
> > > <mailto:james at linuxrebel.org>> wrote:
> > >
> > >     Does anyone know what Linux package could be used to replace the
> > >     windows
> > >     component of media streamer.... If none no problem I'll just need
> > >     to install
> > >     icecast.  Thanks.
> > >

> > > You need an UPNP server to  use mediastreamer, like twonkyvision
> > > (payware) or ushare (which had a problem causing mediastreamer not to
> > > find it, but may be fixed by now...)
> >
> > I use gmediaserver (http://www.gnu.org/software/gmediaserver/). I hear
> > it has limitations on number of items. Install is simple though on
> > Debian/Ubuntu (apt-get).I also have a MythTV install at home and my
> > Nokia MediaStreamer finds it, so I suppose MythTV must be doing uPNP...
> >
> > Sameer
>
> Sameer Thanks this sounds promising as I'm running Kubuntu on my main file
> server...

Hi, in my quest to support and test upnp servers:
 - fuppes: is the best open source solution so far
 - ushare: have some problems, I've sent them one patch, but there are
still remaining problems.
 - gmediaserver: have some problems, I've sent them one patch, but
there are still remaining problems.
 - mythtv: I still need to check it out in depth, but users report
they get "object not found" in Media Streamer, and Canola doesn't show
them.
 - libupnp (pupnp.sf.net, used by ushare, gmediaserver, mythtv): have
some problems with chunked HTTP, maybe few other problems we still
don't known.

so far, canola and media streamer works with:
 - fuppes
 - twonkyvision
 - tversity (win, mac)
 - windows upnp server, same as used by xbox360
 - nokia's mobile phones (canola yet to release a new version to support this)
 - EyeConnect (canola yet to release a new version to support this)

--
Gustavo Sverzut Barbieri
Jabber: barbieri at gmail.com
   MSN: barbieri at gmail.com