[maemo-users] question on the media center software.

On 12/20/06, Klaasjan Brand <klaasjan at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 12/20/06, James Sparenberg <james at linuxrebel.org> wrote:
> > Does anyone know what Linux package could be used to replace the windows
> > component of media streamer.... If none no problem I'll just need to
> install
> > icecast.  Thanks.
>
> You need an UPNP server to  use mediastreamer, like twonkyvision (payware)
> or ushare (which had a problem causing mediastreamer not to find it, but may
> be fixed by now...)

While developing canola, we've tested a lot of UPnP servers and even
hacked some. Situation is not good on free-software field:
 - gMediaShare and uShare: are based on the same code base and share
some problems, like lacking of escaping, generating invalid xml,
providing empty Content-Type for http and so on... they're a no go so
far.
 - Fuppes: almost good, does audio transcoding (generating mp3 from
your ogg/flac), but not video. it's improving, but not that good yet.

Elisa (fluendo's project) is developing their own solution in python,
but it's still more focused on client.

Pymeds is another project, also in python and build on the same roots
as elisa's client, but no updates so far.

All in all, I would go with Fuppes.

--
Gustavo Sverzut Barbieri
Jabber: barbieri at gmail.com